Thursday, December 16, 2010

How the Harmer's began!

Now that the wedding thank you's and Christmas cards are done, we thought we would go back and add posts about how we met, our courtship, and all the fun things we've done since we have been together! So here is how we met!
Howie was playing football at Snow College. I was a nanny in Las Vegas. Back in November-ish of '08 I went to one of my cousins wedding luncheons with my mom. I got talking with my cousin GaryLen and his wife Lorie (who have been married for about 10 years or more) but I haven't really spent much time with them. Well, after talking for a few minutes Lorie told me she had this kid in one of her math classes (she is a professor) that she wanted me to go out with... Howie Harmer! I was dating someone seriously at the time so told her thanks for the offer but I had a man. I guess after that weekend she went home and told Howie about me. Well, it took her a year of hounding us about each other for us to finally go out! I sent Howie a message on Facebook (ya call me a facebook stalker but look where it got me!! Ha ha!) just kind of "introducing myself". Surprisingly Howie wrote back the next day and asked me to go to a concert with him that night... too bad he forgot I lived in Las Vegas and he lived in Salt Lake. Well over the next few weeks we would text eachother and talked on the phone a wopping 1 time. Then, the first week in January of 2010 Howie called to tell me there was a possibility he would be coming to Las Vegas to help his Uncle Robert at the Consumer Electronics Show. He came down and we went out that Friday night to Hard Rock Cafe but neither of us were really expecting to ever see each other again. We were more so doing it to get Lorie off of our backs! We had a great night at dinner but Howie was supposed to leave Saturday afternoon. However, he kind of "offered" to stay to help out at the show until Sunday. I actually had another date Saturday night but cancelled that to go out with Howie again! We went to dinner and saw Blue Man Group (Howie had is arm around me the whole time so I new he was diggin' this!)I dropped him off at his hotel that night and told him I would take him to the airport Sunday if he wanted me to. He took me up on the offer and when I dropped him off he kissed me in the car! Then we both got out of the car and Howie all of a sudden got super nervous and started fumbling through his briefcase looking for something... he still isn't sure exactly what... but he claims he was so nervous because he had never kissed anyone in public and here we were in this huge busy airport and he knew he was going to have to kiss me one last time!! Ha ha ha! But he did it and he didn't care who saw it!! =o) He told me he would call me soon, I told him I would try to get to Salt Lake in a few weeks to go snowboarding with friends & would let him know when I would be coming up, and he was off. Well, the next day he called and said he couldn't wait a few weeks to see me again so asked if he could come down to Las Vegas again that weekend!! WHOA! I was shocked. I really thought I would never see the kid again. Howie was going to be in Scottsdale, AZ. on a golf trip from Wednesday to Saturday (which was also his birthday) but wanted to fly down to Las Vegas that night he got home from Scottsdale. Considering all the traveling he had done that week, and wanting him to be with his family for his birthday, I offered to just go up to Salt Lake on Saturday and we spent that weekend in Salt Lake. So from that first weekend in Las Vegas until the day we got married, we saw each other every weekend (along with a few days here and there during the week). And that, my friends, is where our story begins!

1 comment:

  1. Cute story! You two are dedicated to make the long-distance relationship work!

    ReplyDelete